The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin


400949_GaneshMall.com-Culture Infused Living: Home Accents, Jewelry, and accessories from around the world!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Vegan Garlic and Chili Split Pigeon Pea Curry

My Toor Dal getting blessed.
This dish is otherwise known as "Lasan aur Lal Mirch Toor Dal".  This one is easier for me in the English name :)  So right after I made the Split Chickpea Curry on page 65, I made this curry on page 64.  I love that Anupy Singla tells little stories about each dish.  It always gives a context.  This dal is extremely mild so this is for newbies or children who don't do spice.  The funny thing is that there are a lot of whole dried red chilies in this dish but they don't really penetrate the dish at all.  It's almost more of a visual thing.  Another "dump and push" recipe.  Meaning super basic.  A "6 hour" dish and add lemon at the end.  Many of the dishes have lemon juice added right before serving.  I just do this on the serving plate.  It's really amazing how much it changes the flavor.  It's incredible!!  Out of the Pigeon Pea Curry (page 64) and the Chana Dal (page 65), I prefer the Chana Dal.  I crave spice.  My water bottle used to constantly be full of cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and water.  So you can see how Indian food would be a natural fit for me.  Anyway if you are "spice virgin", then try this Pigeon Pea Curry. And I added only  half of the salt.  I do use sea salt, but realized the recipes are generally too salty for my taste.  She does mention in the beginning of the book that Indians love their salt.  I notice this at some of the Indian restaurants also, where I am terribly parched after eating.  Her recipes aren't so much like that, but I would start by only adding half the amount of salt.  You can always add more at the end.


The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes
Anupy Singla's "Indian Slow Cooker" book. .

The dried chilis, GARLIC!, beans & spices in the slow cooker.
Aren't the chilis beautiful?










No comments:

Post a Comment