The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin


400949_GaneshMall.com-Culture Infused Living: Home Accents, Jewelry, and accessories from around the world!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Vegan Aloo Gobi from "The Indian Slow Cooker" Book

The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes
                                                            Buy "The Indian Slow Cooker"


Aloo Gobi from Anupy Singla's "The Indian Slow Cooker" Book.
(Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes)



Quartet of Spices.
Aloo Gobi.....Hubby was wanting a variation of beans so he came back home with ANOTHER crock-pot! So now we can make 2 dishes at once. Yep, just last year, we planned on gifting the first one to someone who would use it, and now we are on Slow Cooker #2. He got a smaller one, Rival brand, as I wasn't sure how the "Dry Tangy Black Chickpeas" would go over. My folks had already made the Aloo Gobi (for Thanksgiving) and it was a big hit so I wanted to make a big recipe for that one. I actually used an adaptation of Anupy's Aloo Gobi Slow Cooker recipe that was online, as it used 2 heads of cauliflower and not just 1 like the recipe in the book. Here is a video AND recipes with Anupy Singla, author of "The Indian Slow Cooker".

Cauliflower.

I need to use cauliflower more often! I quit buying it after I picked up an
organic head at Wild Oats and it turned out to be 12 dollars or something crazy.
But now you can get a head of organic cauliflower for 3-4 dollars.
However, I am cautious of anything that is sold by weight now!!

Potatoes. I diced them small since I always worry they won't get
fully cooked. It's one food I don't prefer raw! (At least the white ones)

My scruffy potatoes.


Part of my matching plate set sent from my friend.
We were gifted "Bi***" and "Douc**bag" plates for the Holiday.
By my friend who could either be at Jack Kornfield talk or
at Snoop Dog Concert.
Mountain of Ginger, Thai Chilies, and the mandatory Garlic.
Other plate from set. Sent by same friend that was sending me a "word a week"
from hip-hop vocabulary.


Spices.
Everything in the Pot.
You add NO water to this!! The Veggies just cook down and create their own!
It's amazing!


Aloo Gobi, finished.
Love this! I usually don't eat potatoes, but I figured all that heat might
burn up the sugar??


Posing next to the photo in the book.
Verdict: This dish is super easy and super yummy.
If you don't like heat, then cut back the pepper allowance on this one.
It is hot! I also cut the salt in half (this goes for all the dishes).
Then I whipped up some chia seed pudding to satisfy my sweet tooth. Much to people's surprise, I am a total sugar addict so I really keep myself armed with healthier alternatives. We do have sugar in the house, but just for the hummingbird mix! I try to use dates for sweetening and if we run out of those I grab the maple syrup or agave. Although I have basically quit my agave habit, as it is so ambiguous as to whether it is actually the Devil. Ideally I would just do wheatgrass shots, but I am not there yet!


Chia Seed Pudding.

I blended almonds with water. Then add Chia Seeds and stir, or shake in a
Mason jar. You can add dates when you are making the almond milk, or
add stevia or whatever sweetener you are currently using. Vanilla.
Put in fridge until the consistency of tapioca pudding. There are loads
of recipes online for "Chia Seed" pudding with different ratios of chia seed/water.
I always wing it and never know if I will end up with a "shake" or real pudding.
But it's always good!
I am thinking about doing Kris Carr's 21 day Cleanse. Actually, I don't know exactly what it entails, but I am pretty sure that Vegan Nachos are not on the list. Does anyone else have Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet" Book? 


Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!
Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr



 I have flipped through it briefly, and it is beautifully done. The great thing about Kris is she covers a healthy lifestyle from all aspects and has a great sense of humor. She is supposed to be on Good Morning America January 18, 2011 kicking off her book release and the cleanse. She is asking us not to buy the book until next week as we want to kick that baby up the ratings charts. I caved and ordered it last week, but am going to be gifting it to some special peeps this week! Does anyone else have her latest read and is anyone else going to do "The Cleanse"? I highly reccomend the book as she has the "Who's Who" of everything in there. The photos and the energy are great, just like everything Kris does.




Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

2 comments:

  1. That aloo gobi looks so good! My aunt just bought me my first crock pot, so I'm collecting slow cooker recipes for it. This is definitely on my list! I might have to get that book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will want the book!! The simplest, most delicious, cheapest food and it takes minutes to prepare. Just the best. Zero cans.........gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete