The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin


400949_GaneshMall.com-Culture Infused Living: Home Accents, Jewelry, and accessories from around the world!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Vegan South Indian Lentils with Curry Leaves from "The Indian Slow Cooker"


Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)


South Indian Lentils with Curry Leaves from Anupy Singla's  "The Indian Slow Cooker book

Another AMAZING Vegan Slow Cooker dish from Anupy Singla's "The Indian Slow Cooker".  Red Lentils (also called Masoor Dal) are a cinch to find organic at your co-op or Whole Foods.  Of course you can buy them at the Indian/International stores also.  They are marked "Masoor Dal" there.  Bulk, Organic ones at Whole Foods will usually run around 2.00-2.50 a pound.
You can buy large bags at the Indian store for much less.
Tomatoes, Onions, Spices, and your choice of Peppers.
Of course I used Thai as apparently I have some issue with flaunting my "bravado".
SO EASY!  Just cut some tomatoes and grab your
masala dabba.
Masoor Dal with tomatoes, onions, and spices in the slow cooker.
I halve the salt for all of the recipes.


Once again you put your Red Lentils (Masoor Dal) in your slow cooker (crock-pot) with the rest of the "Indian Staples" with the water.  Press a button.  Really, easier than trying not to melt the BPA plastics in your microwave from a TV dinner.  Have this style of food be your NEW TV dinner!  The Daily Show & Colbert pair well with this selection.



Black Mustard Seeds patiently waiting to be "popped".

Cumin Seeds.
Stirring the Cumin and Black Mustard Seeds.
I like using a cast iron pot for popping the seeds and toasting the spices.
The thick bottom helps prevent the spices from burning.


Curry Leaves with Onion.
Try any Indian Grocery for these.

The Curry leaves take the stage.

Sugar Free Coconut Milk to add in near end.
Parippu Curry.  The finished product which after one mouthful my husband told me
I could make that dish every single day.  Of course he has said that about several of the dishes so far!
Beautiful South Indian Lentils with Curry Leaves.
This is actually the dish my dad made!  It is the same recipe.
He is AWESOME in the kitchen.  Every man looks better in an apron.



Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

6 comments:

  1. My husband concurs! I love the texture of this dal created by the mustard seeds. Anupy makes it so simple for anyone to make these dishes. It's crazy. Another one of our favorites is the Black Lentil dish, the Dal Makhani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***squeals*** I'm so happy I found your blog!! Found it via Vegan Crunk :) I am working on making a transition to vegan from vegetarian so I know I will find this blog helpful. And did I read that you are a raw vegan?? That is my ultimate goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! A blossoming vegan! Let us know if you have any questions. I remember being overwhelmed in the beginning. We went vegan (from vegetarian) over 12 years ago, as my hubby's cholesterol was high and he didn't want to take meds. I am so thankful each day that we have gone in this direction. I am not all raw, but have gone through many periods where I eat primarily raw. I do not have an "ethical" reason to be all raw like I do with being all vegan. I do try to stick with basic foods though, not too much of all the new vegan junk food. Its great to go to the vegan meet ups or the raw food meet ups also to meet people that also striving for similar goals. If you like Indian food, you should check out this book! While I haven't "cooked" in years, this book makes it WAY too easy not to! I think I will still be using it to cook for my husband, even if I do go back to a high raw diet. The Indian food is so healthy though, it's pretty hard to find any reason not to eat it!
    But with both the raw and the vegan thing, just try to include more of these foods that you like each day. Try to make it more about adding in delicious foods and less about not eating something you usually do. I found that the more healthy stuff I ate, I was accidentally replacing all the junky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share the recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rosieclown. I'm sorry, I can't!! But it's in the book and you can get the book via Amazon for around 10 dollars. But....There are links to other recipes from that book too. I believe that I share a link to the Rajmah, the Aloo Gobi, and maybe one other item. Go to www.indianasapplepie.com to see which recipes Anupy has posted. But if you like Indian food, you will want her book for sure!

    ReplyDelete