The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin


400949_GaneshMall.com-Culture Infused Living: Home Accents, Jewelry, and accessories from around the world!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vegan Goan Black-Eyed Peas


Goan Black-Eyed Peas
from "The Indian Slow Cooker"  book by Anupy Singla.

My mom loves this dish!  Her favorite Indian dishes are creamy kormas and milky sweets.  So I am happy that she can make a healthier version, vegan style, at home.  Like all of the recipes in The Indian Slow Cooker, this uses dried beans.  Black-eyed peas are available in the bulk section of Whole Foods.  If you are lucky enough to have a local coop, then buy them organic there.  I try to buy whatever I can organic and dried beans are cheap & easy to find.  I still haven't found a decent source of organic Whole Black Gram, Organic Urad Dal, Organic Black Chickpeas or Organic Pigeon Peas.  If anyone has some sources for these, please let me know!  I don't want to pay $5.00 a pound though (sometimes shipping gets crazy).  
Everything in the Slow Cooker.
Goan Black Eyed Peas in Crock Pot
They are much "soupier" than some of the other recipes.
Great on a cold night.
Know what we are making New Year's!
"So Delicious" Coconut milk.
Comes in "Aseptic" containers and can be kept on your shelf until opened!
You put the wet ingredients in the Cuisinart and then put everything in the crock-pot (excluding coconut milk).  Just before the dish is finished, you pour in the Coconut milk.  I use the aseptic packages of Silk Coconut milk.  There are a many varieties of canned coconut milk, but I believe that all of the cans are lined with BPAs.  The only brand that declares their cans BPA free is Eden and they don't make coconut milk.  If I had any balls, I would cut open my own baby coconuts, but this is also what is holding me back from making some of my favorite raw desserts.




Goan Black-Eyed Peas with Coconut Milk.
Amla Chickpeas & Curried Chickpeas on plate
with Brown Basmati rice.
Like our wine glasses?
Thick little Jelly Jars.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment