The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin


400949_GaneshMall.com-Culture Infused Living: Home Accents, Jewelry, and accessories from around the world!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ginger-Garlic Eggplant from "The Indian Slow Cooker" by Anupy Singla



The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes
                                                     "The Indian Slow Cooker" on Amazon.


I have made over a dozen recipes from this book and have loved them all.  The actual, physical book is also great to browse.  With an awesome "lay flat" binding, lots of color photos, and ingredients that I actually have at home, it's like being in a candy store where I can buy anything.  Most books I browse, and then have to make a list, and then lose the list, and then don't have the ingredients.  Once you start using this book, you pretty know what ingredients to have on hand & the "staples" for legumes & veggies.  Of course, you will want to stock up your spice cabinet as well with the basics.  Check out all the other "Indian Slow Cooker" dishes I have made on the right hand side of the blog.  


Chop the eggplant.  I made kind of small, just to ensure that it would actually cook.  I don't think I needed to do this, but I was hungry and have not only a bean addiction, but perhaps a small eggplant one as well.  There is probably a group for that.

Ginger, Chilies, Onion, Cumin, Red Chili Powder (not Mexican chili powder!!)


Spices, Garlic & Onion.








Throw in slow cooker.  Push button.  Wait.  LOVE how easy this is.  

Super texture.  Heads up for those who are easy on the spices.  These dishes are generally not easy on the spices.  This dish, in particular, might be needed to be toned down a bit if you aren't what Anupy's dad calls a "spicy person".  I am full of spice so took it like the spicy broad I am.  But just warning you!!



So today I was just wondering what Anupy is going to teach us in her next book.  Yes, next book!!  Our Punjabi Princess is making a "Vegan Indian" book and it promises to be amazing.  I hope for more veggie stuff like broccoli, zuchinni, maybe an okra dish??  I have also been munching on the Black Chickpea Curry the last few days.  The first time I made them I was surprised by the dryness of their texture (when compared to Garbanzo Beans), but now this "Kala Chana", Black Chickpeas has won a place in my heart!

"Kala Chana" Black Chickpea Curry from "The Indian Slow Cooker" book by Anupy Singla.  And check out all the links on the right hand side of blog to other dishes I have made from this book!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I am going to make this. . . TODAY! Yum! I love, love, love this cookbook and have been eyeing the black chickpea recipe--now MUST make this, too! Just made the Punjabi Kidney Bean thingy three days ago--we loved it.(The "black chickpeas" will require a trip to Global Foods this morning, first!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Rajmahs from her book! My fave is "Dad's Rajmah" and we lived for weeks on end on that stuff. Partly because the weather was so bad (in the winter) and we had a gazillion kidney beans, and partly because it's of my faves from the book. Our faves are the Squash, Black Lentils, Rajmah, Aloo Gobi and for me the Black Chickpea dishes as well. Oh, of course the Chana Masala too! Let me know how you like the Kala Chana! Can't wait for her "Vegan Indian" book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I can practically smell and taste this! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete